Speech and Language Therapy – Adult Service
Speech and Language Therapy supports people who have speech, language, communication and/or swallowing difficulties.
Speech and Language Therapists (SLTs) work closely with clients, carers and other professionals, (e.g. Nurses, Doctors, Occupational Therapists, Physiotherapists). SLTs work in a range of settings, including:
- Outpatient Clinics
- Nursing Homes
- Family homes
- Day Centres
- Residential Homes
Adults may present with
- Communication Difficulties
- Language Difficulties
- Slurred speech
- Difficulties in producing sounds
- Voice disorders
- Eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
Speech, language, communication and swallowing difficulties can be associated with
- Progressive conditions e.g. Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinsons Disease
- Brain Injuries e.g. Stroke, Head Injuries
- Head and neck cancer
- Learning and/or physical disabilities
- Autism/social interaction difficulties
SLTs work in the following multi-disciplinary teams within the Trust:
What We Do
SLTs carry out a specialist assessment to understand the individual needs and difficulties, so they can provide the best possible support.
This takes into account the impact these difficulties are having on everyday life and whatever the support offered, SLTs will always work closely with the individual, their family and others who are involved with the client.
Therapy may include provision of information and advice, individual strategies for clients, their families and carers and 1:1 therapy sessions where appropriate.
If you wish be referred or make a referral to Speech and Language Therapy
Ask your GP or other professional to make the referral
You can self-refer by ringing the central referral line
028 7186 4399 (office hours)
* If the referral is in relation to a voice problem the referral must include an up-to-date Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) report.
Locations where this service is delivered
- Altnagelvin Area Hospital
- Lakeview Hospital
- Lakeview Hospital
- Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
- South West Acute Hospital