Occupational Therapy is a health care profession which provides services to people whose ability to function in daily life has been disrupted by physical illness or injury, developmental problems, the ageing process or mental or emotional illness.
The goal of Occupational Therapy is to assist each individual in achieving their maximum potential in functional activities of daily living so they can lead independent, productive and satisfying life-styles.
Occupational Therapy intervention incorporates an assessment of your functional performance, identification of client-centered goals, followed by a graded range of therapeutic activities and interventions to meet your assessed needs.
These could include;
Everyday necessities of daily living, such as preparing a meal, getting dressed, getting around your home , leisure activities or going to school or work.
Provision of specialist equipment or environmental adaptations to promote independence
- Make sure that homes, workplaces and public places are accessible for people with specific needs
- Enable people to learn new or different ways of carrying out activities.
- Help children overcome/adapt to learning or developmental challenges.
- Enable people to remain in their own homes
- Help people to manage their mental illness more effectively to enable return to a fulfilling life.
- Ease the transition back home after being in hospital.
Occupational Therapy is provided from a range of settings within the Trust including, hospitals, community settings, resource centres, schools, assessment clinics and people’s homes.
Occupational Therapists provide services across a range of specialist areas .
- Trauma and Orthopaedics Hand Therapy
- Children’s therapy
- Brain Injury
- Mental Health
- Community Therapists
- Acute Hospitals
- Intermediate care inpatient’s
- Wheelchair services
- Community Rehabilitation
If you think you need to see an Occupational Therapist speak with your GP, Consultant or other Health Professional who will refer you to this service . If you wish to self- refer please call 02871864399
Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation service
Paediatric Occupational Therapy Service
Community Occupational Therapy Services
Locations where this service is delivered
- Altnagelvin Area Hospital
- Lakeview Hospital
- Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
- Roe Valley Hospital
- South West Acute Hospital
- Tyrone and Fermanagh Hospital
- Waterside Hospital