Inflammatory Bowel Disease Service
The IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease) service is available to patients who have been diagnosed with an Inflammatory Bowel Disease and under the care of a Gastroenterologist.
What is IBD?
Crohn’s Disease and Ulcerative Colitis are the two main forms of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, affecting more than 300,000 people in the UK. These conditions are chronic (lifelong) disorders of the digestive tract, with periods of remission and relapse. Symptoms of pain, diarrhoea (sometimes with blood and mucus), tiredness and weight loss may be evident due to ongoing inflammation of the bowel.
The IBD Team
The IBD Team at South West Acute Hospital /Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex comprise of:
- Consultant Gastroenterologists – Dr Campbell, Dr Geoghegan and Dr Elrayah
- IBD Nurse – Tracy Hill
- Specialist Pharmacist – Sharon McGuigan
- Infusion Nurse – Linda Northry
The Team at Altnagelvin Hospital comprise of:
- Consultant Gastroenterologists – Dr Ferguson, Dr Beharry & Dr Callaghan
- IBD Nurses Stephanie Dunn and Claire O’Donnell.
Both areas have access to Dietetics, Psychology Counsellors and Colorectal Surgeons who are all part of a team to support you and your condition.
Please see ‘Contacts’ at the bottom of the page.
The Advice line is for those looking more information and greater understanding about their underlying condition, drug treatments, diet, surgical options, pregnancy, travel etc. as well as for rapid access to clinic if you are experiencing a relapse/ flare up of your condition.
It is also important to ring the Advice line if you are experiencing side effects to new medications, severe abdominal pain, vomiting, painful persistent swelling of the abdomen, unexplained weight loss or fever.
There is an answer machine facility and it is checked throughout the working day. Please leave your name, date of birth, contact details and message and your call will be returned. If your call is of an urgent nature or outside of working hours and cannot wait for the IBD Nurse then contact your GP, GP Out of Hours for advice or Emergency Department.
IBD Outpatient Clinics
IBD South West Acute Hospital/Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex Outpatient clinics:
You will be reviewed by your Consultant and team on a regular basis to monitor your condition, which will be at either Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex or South West Acute Hospital in Enniskillen.
- Tuesday Dr Elrayah 9:00AM – 12:00PM South West Acute Hospital
- Tuesday Dr Geoghegan and IBD Nurse 9:00AM – 12:00PM Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
- Thursday Dr Campbell, Dr Elrayah, Dr Geoghegan, IBD Nurse 9:00AM – 12:00PM South West Acute Hospital
- Friday Dr Elrayah 9:00AM – 12:00PM South West Acute Hospital
IBD Altnagelvin Hospital Outpatient clinics:
- Monday and Wednesday Dr Ferguson and IBD Nurse 1:00PM – 4:00PM
- Tuesday and Thursday Dr Callaghan 1:00PM – 4:00PM
- Wednesday Dr Beharry 1:00PM – 4:00PM
- Friday Dr Beharry 9:00AM – 12:00PM
Further IBD Resources:
COVID19 Arrangements for IBD Services
Patients who normally attend outpatients will be finding that their appointment has been postponed. The Gastroenterology team will try and contact people by phone to check on how they are doing or alternatively patients can ring into the IBD Adviceline to seek advice, and a very small number of patients with urgent problems will be seen in person.
See ‘Further Resources’ below for guidance and information.
Advice Line South West Acute Hospital and Omagh Hospital and Primaty Care Complex – Telephone: 028 6638 2093
Advice Line Altnagelvin Hospital – Telephone/Text: 077 8044 9682
Stephanie Dunn/Claire O’Donnell
Stephanie Dunn – Stephanie.Dunn@westerntrust.hscni.net
Claire O’Donnell – Claire.ODonnell@westerntrust.hscni.net
Further Resources - COVID19
You can access further information on COVID19 and IBD via the following sites that may prove useful to you:
- Updated Shielding Guidance for Patients – 08/06/2020
- Department of Health – Test, Trace and Protect- 29/05/2020
- GOV.UK COVID19 – what you need to do
- GOV.UK COVID19 – Protecting Vulnerable People
- British Society of Gastroenterology
- NHS – COVID19
- International Organisation for the study of IBD (IOIBD)
- Crohns and Colitis – COVID 19 Advice
- Crohns and Colitis – Self Isolation/Social Distancing Advice
- Public Health Agency – COVID19
Locations where this service is delivered
Advice Line - South West Acute Hospital/ Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex - Tracy Hill
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursdays
Advice Line - Altnagelvin Hospital - Stephanie Dunn and Claire O'Donnell
Monday – Thursday (except Bank Holidays)
9:00AM – 4:30PM
IBD Nurse - South West Acute Hospital / Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex - Tracy Hill
IBD Nurse - Altnagelvin Area Hospital - Stephanie Dunn
IBD Nurse - Altnagelvin Area Hospital - Claire O'Donnell