Continence Advisory Service
The Continence Advisory Service is staffed by Nurse Specialists, known as Continence Advisors. They have in-depth training and expertise to offer assistance and advice for those who have problems controlling their bladder or bowel.
The Continence Advisory Team offers a range of services:
- Continence Clinics
- Community Prostate Assessment clinics (GP referral only)
- Educational and Training programmes
- Continence product advice
- Information resource centre
Confidential help and advice is available within the community at Continence clinics run by the Continence Advisory Service.
Detailed assessment is undertaken at the clinics by the Specialist Nurse who is specially trained in helping people with bladder or bowel problems. The service has an open referral system which means that anyone can telephone or write for an appointment – Contact Details can be found at the bottom of the page.
- Monday: Shantallow HC – morning / Waterside HC – afternoon
- Tuesday: Waterside HC – all day
- Wednesday: Shantallow HC – all day
- Thursday: Strabane HC – all day / Shantallow HC – afternoon
- Friday: Roe Valley Out-patients – morning
- Monday: Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Centre – all day
- Tuesday: South West Acute Hospital – all day
- Wednesday: South West Acute Hospital all day / Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Centre – all day
- Thursday: South West Acute Hospital – morning
- Friday: South West Acute Hospital – all day / Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Centre – all day
Although it is not necessary for your doctor to make a referral, he/she will be informed of your attendance and subsequent assessment but only after you have granted permission. The sharing of information with your GP is important in ensuring you receive the most appropriate treatment. We can, if necessary, put you in touch with other professional services that may be relevant to your individual problem.
A comprehensive continence assessment will be carried out by the Nurse at the clinic and will usually include the following:
- Symptom history
- Analysis of bladder record chart
- Diagnostic investigations (for example urine tests, bladder scans)
- Physical examination
For further information on any of the services we provide please contact:
Rectory Field Offices
19b Limavady Road
Londonderry BT47 6JU
Tel: 028 7134 9355