We have two maternity departments based at Altnagelvin Hospital in Londonderry and the South West Acute Hospital in Enniskillen:
- Altnagelvin maternity department is a located in a modern-designed purpose-built unit in the South Wing of Altnagelvin Hospital, opened in February 2009.
- The maternity department is located on the first floor of the state-of-the-art single room South West Acute Hospital outside Enniskillen.
The Trust also has community midwifery teams who provide services for women in the Limavady, Londonderry, Strabane, Omagh and Fermanagh localities.
- A professional team will care for you during your pregnancy and labour and following the birth of your baby.
- Obstetricians are doctors who specialise in maternity care
- Midwives provide complete care during pregnancy and childbirth
- Community Midwives are midwives who work in your local community
- Paediatricians are doctors who specialise in the care of babies and children
- Anaesthetists are doctors who specialise in meical pain relief and are responsible for administering epidurals
- Physiotherapist provide antenatal and postnatal exercise and relaxation advice
- Social Workers provide advice and support in many circumstances
- Dieticians specialise in dietary advice
- Breastfeeding advisor provides advice and support for mothers with feeding difficulties
- Parentcraft coordinator provides antenatal education
- Antenatal screening coordinator is responsible for the screening of all bloods taken and acting on the results, if necessary
- Supervisor of midwives – is a practising midwives who has been appointed to ensure that the care women receive from midwives is safe and of high quality. She does this by making sure that midwives have up-to-date information and training, and by providing them with guidance and support. If you have any concerns regarding your care contact the relevant supervisor (see Contact Us below).
As soon as you have a positive pregnancy test you can refer yourself directly for maternity care with your midwife in the Western Trust. Please complete the form below and leave the it at your Health Centre Reception. The Community Midwife will arrange an appointment for you and also notify your GP of your pregnancy.
Maternity Services Booklet
The Western Trust has a Maternity Services Booklet for expecting mums. Our maternity booklet is designed to give you information about your care during pregnancy, child birth and after your birth. We hope that you find this guide helpful as it will give you information on scans, birth plans, induction of labour, midwifery led unit, feeding your baby and much more. However please feel free to discuss any aspect of your care with our midwives and doctors, we are here to help. Click here to view our booklet.
Take our survey
We would love to hear about your experience. Please take a few minutes to complete our online survey here.
- Maternity Care – Self-Referral Form
- Maternity Care – Paying Patient Form
- HSC Pregnancy Book
- Western Trust Maternity Services Booklet
COVID 19 Arrangements for Maternity Services
Remember you can still contact your own Community Midwife on the number on the front of your Green Maternity Notes.
24 hour 'Pregnancy Advice Line'
During the COVID-19 pandemic Western Trust Maternity Services have set up a dedicated 24 hour phone line – “Pregnancy Advice Line” for you if you have any specific queries relating to your pregnancy and care.
Altnagelvin Hospital – 028 7161 1412
South West Acute Hospital – 028 6638 2175
Antenatal Clinic Appointments
Continue to attend your routine antenatal care as arranged. When attending any clinic appointment please come alone.
If attending Altnagelvin Hospital use Main Entrance opposite multi-story carpark and go to Level 9 in the tower block.
All consultant antenatal clinics in South West Acute Hospital are transferred to Omagh Hospital
NO VISITING in the maternity units, only one birthing partners can come to Labour Ward but must remain there until after the birth. Partners cannot accompany the mother to postnatal.
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (Altnagelvin)
Telephone: 028 7161 1204
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (South West Acute Hospital)
Telephone: 028 6638 2000 Ext 254053
- Fetal Maternal Assessment Unit, (Altnagelvin) Telephone: 028 7161 1412
- Fetal Maternal Assessment Unit (Omagh and South West Acute Hospital)
Telephone 028 8283 3100 (24 hour line) Ext 237693
- Antenatal Ward (Altnagelvin) Telephone: 028 7161 1306
- Postnatal Ward (Altnagelvin) Telephone: 028 7161 1496
- Antenatal / Postnatal Ward (South West Acute Hospital)
Telephone 028 6638 2531
- Early Pregnancy Assessment Service (Altnagelvin)
Hospital Maternity or Early Pregnancy Assessment Entrances
Altnagelvin – South Wing Entrance (follow signage)
Omagh – Main Hospital Entrance
South West Acute Hospital – GP out of Hours entrance beside A&E entrance for maternityMain front entrance for early pregnancy clinic
- Virtual Antenatal and Postnatal Education Classes
COVID19 Maternity Website
For more information, guidance and updates on changes to maternity services in Northern Ireland and signposting of how to access services visit: