- Enrol for free at Brighton and Sussex Medical School. An introduction to the NHS and explore the roles and skills sets of six different medial specialist. Along the way, the challenges and wider issues doctors face will be considered. All you need to know.
- Observe General Practice: A free interactive video platform Providing insights into the role of a GP and the wider primary care team. Video Introduction
- Online Alternative to work experience
- Apply to University of Birmingham’s Medic Mentor
There are some great books and podcasts that will provide a realistic understanding of life in healthcare and address ethical scenarios.
- This is Going to Hurt – Adam Kay
- When Breath Becomes Air – Paul Kalanithi
- The Prison Doctor – Dr Amanda Brown
- War Doctor – David Nott
- Better – Atul Gawande
- Do No Harm – Henry Marsh
- Second Opinion
- The Undifferentiated Medical Student
- 2 Docs Talk
- Everyday Emergency
- RCP Medicine Podcast
It may be beneficial to reach out to doctors or medical student, although work experience placements are not available it may be possible to organise a skype call or talk directly with a doctor and gain an insight into day to day life as a doctor.
If this is not available applicants can also talk to medical students swotUP has medical students available to answer questions about applying to medical school or provide an insight into life as a medical student.