Trauma and Orthopaedics
We provide a full range of Orthopaedic procedures including joint replacement, upper limb, foot and ankle surgery. The service is based at Altnagelvin Hospital where all inpatient and day cases are performed; however outpatient clinics take place in Omagh, Enniskillen, Coleraine and Limavady.
We have 13 consultant orthopaedic surgeons working across 2 elective operating theatres and 1 trauma theatre. We have a team of orthopaedic anaesthetists to ensure that you are safely able to undergo your orthopaedic procedure. We also have 2 consultant ortho-physicians who manage the medical conditions of patient in the wards.
How to access our service
The orthopaedic service is accessed through your GP. If you feel you require a referral to our service you should make an appointment to discuss this with your GP.
Not every orthopaedic condition needs to be seen by an orthopaedic consultant and can be managed by our ICATS (Integrated Clinical Assessment and Treatment Service) team which combines expertise from a range of musculoskeletal disciplines.
Patients who have sustained a fracture or injury will usually be referred to the service following attendance at Emergency Department or Urgent Care and Treatment Centre. These pathways are known as emergency or unscheduled pathways for patients as they are as result of an injury or sudden onset condition like a bone infection.
Fracture/trauma patients are treated as both inpatients and outpatients.
The types of clinics provided include:
- Orthopaedic clinics by consultant surgeons
- Nurse led clinics for children with developmental dysplasia of the hip
- Pre-op Assesment clinics by specialist nurses and anaesthetists
- Arthroplasty review clinics by a specialist nurse
- Fracture liaison clinics by nurses and radiographers
- Osteoporosis clinics by consultant rheumatologist
- Orthopaedic clinics for children are provided by paediatric orthopaedic consultants from the Belfast Trust and some of these are combined clinics with consultant paediatricians from the Western Trust.
- Staff endeavour to have patients seen at local clinics but this is not always possible.
Video: Patient’s journey for hip or knee replacement
Locations where this service is delivered
- Altnagelvin Area Hospital
- Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Complex
- Roe Valley Hospital
- South West Acute Hospital
Partial Booking Office
Trauma and Orthopaedic Elective Co-ordinator
Elective Orthopaedic Unit
Ward 5, Altnagelvin Hospital
Trauma Orthopaedic Unit
Ward 2, Altnagelvin Hospital
Outpatients Department, Altnagelvin Hospital
Pre-op Operative Assessment Unit
Virtual Fracture Clinic
Fracture Liaison and Osteoporosis Service
Arthroplasty Review Nurse