Traveller Health and Wellbeing Programme
Staff work alongside the Traveller community to develop and provide services and programmes to improve the health and wellbeing outcomes of all Travellers in the Western Trust area.
The Traveller Health and Wellbeing Programme sits within the Western Health and Social Care Trust, Health Improvement, Equality and Involvement Department and aims to improve health outcomes of all Travellers in the Western Trust area.
The programme of work can be broadly defined in the following ways:
- Work with Travellers to identify and deliver a range of health improvement programmes and activities.
- Support Travellers to access health services and work with other organisations to ensure a range of services are easily accessible. Highlight issues that arise for Travellers in accessing services.
- Work to build an engaged Traveller community which can participate effectively in the decision making processes which impact on health outcomes.
- Work in partnership with a range of statutory, community and voluntary agencies. To support this, the Western Traveller Action Group was established and works to advance the equal outcomes of Travellers across all measures of wellbeing.
- Provide Traveller cultural awareness/cultural competence training to promote the delivery of culturally aware services.
- Provide training to upskill Travellers in health awareness and community development.
- Work on a regional basis to influence policy makers at departmental/government level.
For more information on the Traveller Programme Health and Wellbeing, please contact the HIEI Department on;
Phone: 028 7186 5127
Traveller Development Officer
Phone: 028 7135 8787
Mobile: 07584 207 237
Traveller Health Development Worker
Mobile: 07919 142 155