About the Programme
Who is eligible?
Eligible patients include those with a history of
- Heart attack
- After heart surgery or angioplasty/stenting
- After implantation of a defibrillator
- Heart failure
- Minor stroke
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Multiple risk factors (e.g. smoking, high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity) that put them at increased risk for a heart attack/stroke
What does the programme entail?
There are 4 parts to the programme
- A detailed initial assessment with the multidisciplinary team- cardiovascular nurse specialists, dietitians, physical activity specialists/physiotherapists and psychologist/psychological practitioner.
- A 10 week supervised exercise and education programme held in local leisure centres including the Foyle Area, the Templemore Sports Complex, the Omagh Leisure Centre and the Lakeland Forum in Enniskillen. Patients are actively case managed in terms of their risk factors and medication throughout the programme with the support of a Consultant Cardiologist.
- An end of programme assessment to review achievement of lifestyle and medical risk factor (e.g. blood pressure and cholesterol) targets as well as medications and psychological health
- A repeat assessment at one year
Click on the button to view the Our Hearts Our Minds Programme Structure