Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) – Children’s and Young People’s Service
The Autism Team provides support to children and young people with Autism and to their families. We are a multi-disciplinary team, which means members have a range of professional qualifications and experience in many areas including:
- Clinical Psychology
- Community Paediatrics
- Social Work
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Autism Practitioner
- Occupational Therapy and
- Specialist Health Visitors
Central to the work of the team is the Autism Service Co-ordinator. We are here to provide support and advice from the first stages of the assessment and diagnosis process and throughout your contact with us.
New Post Diagnostic Intervention Sessions Brochure
Download/Print the Post Diagnostic Intervention Sessions 2023/24 brochure for session dates.
Services and Support
Every child is different and equally every child and young person with Autism is different. When a child/young person is diagnosed with Autism the help and support that will be provided will depend on that child/young person’s individually assessed needs. This help may include:
- Support sessions with the appropriate professional
- Training courses and awareness events for parents
- Referral to family support services
- Assessment of carer’s needs
- Opportunities for Respite
- Pharmacological care (if appropriate)
- Information about local parent/charity support groups
- Information and/or referral to other service (where co-occurring conditions are identified)
Level 1 and 2 Post Diagnosis Intervention Sessions – Parents/Carers/Children and Young People
Pre-recorded Parent/Carer Autism Information Sessions are now available to watch in your own time on a range of topics such as Introduction to Autism, Social Communication, Anxiety Management , Challenging Behaviour, Sleep, Eating, Toileting and Sensory issues. If you wish to access these sessions, please contact the Autism Team in your local area on the numbers below;
- Children and Young People’s Autism Service , Rivendell, Omagh, 028 8283 5983
- Children and Young People’s Autism Service, Lilac Villa, Gransha Park, Clooney Road, Derry/Londonderry 028 7130 8313
- Children and Young People’s Autism Service, Children’s Centre, South West Acute Hospital, Enniskillen 028 6638 2103
As a supplement to the pre-recorded sessions, please find attached details of the Post Diagnostic Intervention Sessions 2023/24. which are being delivered live face to face and virtually by an Autism Clinician which cover topics such as:
- Talking to my child/young person about Autism
- Building Autism Awareness for Child/Young Person
- Let’s Talk about Behaviour
- Anxiety and Autism
- The Teenage Years
- Can’t Sleep Won’t Sleep
- Supporting Sensory Differences
Early Intervention Service
The new Early Intervention Service within the Western Trust has been launched during World Autism Awareness Week 2022.
We have worked with and listened to parents over the past 12 months to find out what would be helpful to families as they begin their journey on the Autism pathway.
In response to this we have a range of, interventions and support available for families which they can access before their child completes a diagnostic assessment.
We want to meet with families right at the beginning of their journey and together with them find the best interventions to support them. Click here to view our brochure; in which the sessions have been carefully and specially designed for children and young people with neurodevelopmental differences.
Get in touch with our team to find out more on EIS.email@example.com
Watch our short videos made for parents and children getting ready to come into hospital for an Autism Spectrum Disorder assessment appointment.
South West Acute Hospital
Omagh Hospital and Primary Care Hospital
Western Health and Social Care Trust
Public Health Agency and Health and Social Care Board Information
National Health Service Information
Local Council Information